6 million UK CBD users according to Centre for Medicinal Cannabis
The UK CBD market today
In a comprehensive survey on the current state of the UK CBD marketplace, the Centre for Medicinal Cannabis has revealed some remarkably high user figures across the board. It shows that there are 1.3 million regular users in the UK, with 6 million having used it in the last year, emphasising what an exciting period of growth the CBD sector is in.
The report, titled ‘CBD in the UK: Towards a responsible, innovative and high-quality cannabidiol industry’, primarily serves as a wider call to those involved in the policy surrounding CBD and its retail for wide-acting reform. The numbers aren’t just a record of the success of the sector, but an indication of the potential for the UK to become a global leader in an innovative area of growth.
For the purposes of their investigation into the current state of the market, the Centre for Medicinal Cannabis consulted an independent market insight agency to undertake a unique piece of market sizing analysis, whilst also sourcing stats from a recent YouGov report. The key findings reflected that a majority of the estimates so far don’t even scratch the surface.
- The size of the UK CBD market is between 3-6 times larger than previous well quoted estimates: 1.3 million regular users vs 250 thousand users (CTA)
- The CBD market is now larger than the total UK Vitamin D (£145M) and Vitamin C market (£119M) combined
- The market is currently growing at double digits and expected to be just short of £1 billion in 2025
- 11% of the UK population (around 6 million people) have consumed a CBD product in the last year
- Three quarters of YouGov respondents said UK hemp farmers should be allowed to process hemp flowers and leaves. All CBD source material in the UK is currently imported
Alongside calling for policy makers to reform the state of CBD laws in the UK to allow the sector to flourish, there was also acknowledgement of the role CBD businesses have in shaping the future of the marketplace.
The Centre for Medicinal Cannabis called for better self-regulation in ensuring product quality is up to scratch, pointing to a vast number of products that didn’t provide the CBD mg they claimed to. That’s why Vitality CBD conduct third party tests on all our batches, and provide the reports for you right here.
If you want to read the full Centre for Medicinal Cannabis report and the statements of intent for each aspect of the industry, check it out here. For any further questions you might have about CBD and why it’s becoming such a go-to product for the UK market, reach out to us on our contact page here. We believe an informed choice is the best choice.